The name of the group shall be OutWest.
To provide a focal point in the community where lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people can make contact with each other, and become involved in a range of joint activities including educational pursuits.
- PROVISION OF INFORMATION
- To provide people with information and general help available to gay related issues.
- To give support of an informal nature to assist people in dealing with the many social and emotional problems associated with being part of the LGBT+ community.
The group endeavours to provide information to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in relation to health and other gay related issues, and when requested by other agencies and the wider community.
We endeavour to represent a positive image of LGBT+ life in Ireland by increasing the profile of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues in the wider community and to comment on social policy and other public issues that pertain to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender concerns and policy as agreed by the committee.
- MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
- The general control and management of the activities of the group shall be vested in a committee of Management hereinafter called the “Management Committee” who may exercise all such powers of the group and do, on behalf of the group, all such acts as may be executed and done by the group.
- All cheques, promissory notes, drafts, bills of exchange and other negotiable instruments and all receipts for monies paid to the group shall be signed, drawn and accepted endorsed or otherwise executed in such manner as the Management Committee shall from time to time determine, provided they shall always be signed by at least two persons.
- MEMBERSHIP OF THE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
- There shall be seven nominees of OutWest.
- The period of office of the Management Committee members will be one year.
- At least seven days notice will be given of a special meeting or emergency general meeting.
- With the consent of all members of the Management Committee, a meeting of the Management Committee may be convened upon shorter notice.
- The notice shall specify the place, the day and the hour of the meeting and the nature of the business to be discussed.
- TERMINATION OF MEMBERSHIP OF MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
A member of the Management Committee shall cease to be a member of the Management Committee:
- If he/she is absent from three consecutive meetings of the Management Committee without due reason being given, or
- Upon receipt by the Secretary of the Management Committee of his/her written resignation, or
- The Management Committee may withdraw Committee membership from a member on a vote with the majority of two-thirds or more of the members present.
- OFFICERS OF THE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
- The management Committee shall have a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer, Communications Officer and two ordinary members.
- The Management Committee shall appoint the Officers from their own number and shall determine the period or periods for which they are to hold office.
- An officer on OutWest’s Management Committee may only serve two consecutive years/two A.G.M.s in any one officer’s post. The member may hold/be elected for any other post, both officer and non-officer roles, provided he/she has not served in that position for the two previous A.G.M.s. This may be extended for one further year, should the officer be proposed and seconded, unopposed.
- The Management Committee may appointment a further three members to the committee by a unanimous vote from the members present at the presiding meeting.
- The tenure of each new member will end at the AGM or unless the member meets any of the criteria listed in section 5.
- Each co-opted member will have voting rights on issues raised at the meetings.
- A representative of the helpline, appointed by the helpline membership, will be entitled to attend any and all management committee meetings and will have full voting rights on all issues raised at the meetings.
- FREQUENCY OF MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETINGS
The Management Committee shall hold no less than six meetings in each calendar year, of which one should be the Annual General Meeting, to be held not more than fourteen months after the last Annual General Meeting.
- NOTICE OF MEETING
At least seven days notice of any meeting of the Management Committee shall be given to all members of the Management Committee provided that the accidental omission to give such notice by any person shall not invalidate the proceedings of any such meeting.
- PROCEEDINGS OF THE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
- At any meeting of the Management Committee four members of the Committee comprising of at least two officers shall constitute a quorum.
- Matters arising at any meeting of the Management Committee shall be decided by the majority vote of the members present and voting.
- The Chairperson of the meeting shall only be entitled to a vote in the event of tie
- MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MINUTES
The Management Committee shall keep proper minutes of all their meetings and meetings of any sub-committee.
The Management committee shall cause proper books of accounts to be kept with respect to:
- All sums of money received and expended by the group and the matters in respect of which such receipts and expenditure take place, and the assets and liabilities of the group.
- The books of accounts shall be kept by the treasurer and will be made available for inspection by any member of the group at every meeting. The treasurer will present a report to the group at quarterly intervals.
- At every Annual General Meeting (except the first Annual General Meeting) the Management Committee shall present an Income and Expenditure Account in respect of the proceeding financial year and a Balance Sheet as at the of that year.
- THE HELPLINE
- The members of OutWest Gay Helpline will elect a representative from among their number, who will report to the committee of OutWest on a monthly basis, outlining their progress to date and highlighting any problems or difficulties they might experience and provide an up to date financial report to the OutWest Committee.
- This elected representative will attend the committee meeting of OutWest and will have full voting rights.
- The management committee will have no influence over who may or may not be elected as helpline representative.
- The management committee will not be made aware of who is a volunteer on the helpline.
- WINDING UP OF GROUP
The group may be dissolved by a resolution of the committee, upon written notice, of not less than twenty-eight days to each Committee member and agreed by the group members at an E.G.M., by private ballot. If upon the winding up or dissolution of the group there remains, after the satisfaction of all it debts and liabilities, any property whatsoever, the same shall not be paid or distributed among the members of the group but shall be given or transferred to some other charitable institution or institutions having main objects similar to the main objects of the group and which shall prohibit the distribution of its or their income and property among its or their members to an extent at least as great as is imposed on the group under or by the virtue of clause hereof, such institution or institutions to be determined by the members of the group at or before the time of dissolution, and if and so far as effect cannot be given to such provisions, then to some charitable object.
- INCOME AND PROPERTY
- The income and property of the group, whatsoever derived, shall be applied solely towards the promotion of the main objects of the group as set forth in this Memorandum of Association and no portion thereof shall be paid or transferred directly or indirectly by way of dividend, bonus or otherwise howsoever by way of profit, to members of the group.
- Provided that nothing herein shall prevent the payment, in good faith, of reasonable and proper remuneration to any officer or servant of the group or to any member of the group, in return for any services actually rendered to the group, nor prevent the payment of interest at a rate not exceeding five per cent per annum on money lent or reasonable and proper rent for premises demised or let, but any member to the group; but so that no member of the group shall be appointed to any salaried office of the group or any office of the group paid by fees and that no remuneration or other benefit in money or moneys worth shall be given by the group to any member, except repayment of out-of-pocket expenses and interest at the rate aforesaid on money lent or reasonable and proper rent for premises demised or let to the group, provided that the provision last aforesaid shall not apply to any payment to any group of which a member may be a member, and in which such member shall not hold more than one-hundredth part of the capital, and such member shall not be bound to account for any share of profit s(he) may receive in respect of such payment.
In furthermore of the aforesaid objects (section 2) but not otherwise the group may:
- Provide information for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.
- Provide social outlets.
- Write, print, publish, issue, circulate and distribute or procure such articles, reports, newsletters, periodical books, pamphlets, advertisements, leaflets, posters, memorandum and other documents and
- Arrange and provide, both by itself and in conjunction with other organisations and institutions classes, meetings, lectures, exhibitions and seminars.
- Apply for, invite, obtain, collect and receive money, funds, securities, and other sources of income and capital by way of contributions, subscriptions, donations, grants, legacies, sale of publications of the group and other lawful methods, and receive gifts by will and inter vivo of property of any description, whether or not subject to express trusts.
- Open and operate banking accounts and other facilities of banking.
- Draw, accept and negotiate bills of exchange, cheques, promissory notes and other negotiable instruments.
- Dispose of or any way turn to account all or any of the assets of the Group.
- Enter into Contracts, and raise money upon such terms as may be considered expedient.
- Invest the monies of the Group not immediately required for its own use.
- Purchase, take on lease or licence, hire, subscribe for and by any other lawful means acquire appliances, equipment, vehicles, furniture, books, periodicals, publications, newspaper stationary supplies and any other chattels whatsoever.
- Employ and retain on a full-time basis of part-time basis and such terms as shall be agreed or on a voluntary basis all or any of the following: Any persons whose particular skills, qualifications or knowledge may be of assistants in the attainment of the objects of the group.
- Make rules for the general administration and conduct of the business of the group, including the specifying of work to be undertaken or refused by the group from time to time.
- Any proposed action to be taken by the Management Committee on behalf of the group, which may diverge, from the ethos or nature of the group must be ratified by the general membership at the monthly group meeting. Any changes or editing to the constitution to be put in writing to the chairperson and secretary before date of ratification.
- Enter into any contract of insurance howsoever in respect of any matter in which the group has an insurable interest and in particular in connection with any real or personal property in which the group shall have an interest or with any acts or omissions done by persons employed by the group, including indemnity insurance in respect of any fraudulent, negligent and other unlawful acts by any such persons.
- Make reasonable charges including nominal charges or no charge in respect of the work of and the services provided by the group.
- Do all such things as will further the attainment of the objects of the group.
- BANK ACCOUNTS / BANKING / CASH HANDLING
- When an amount of money in excess of one hundred euros is expected to be handled, or received, the committee will designate two of its membership to count and record the money.
- A third member, designated by the committee, will sign for and will be held responsible for the monies until such a time as it is lodged in the OutWest bank account. Where possible the OutWest Lodgement book will be used and returned to the Treasurer at the earliest possible opportunity.
- The designated committee member responsible for lodging any monies will agree to take all reasonable measures to ensure that the monies are accounted for and kept in a safe environment until it is lodged into the OutWest account.
- For security reasons the names of these designated persons will be treated as confidential until the money has been lodged in the OutWest Bank account, or three working days have elapsed. The selection of committee members to carry out the above will be random and all Committee members will be expected to partake in the process.
- All committee members will agree to sign up to this policy for handling money in excess of one hundred euros. The designated persons will be listed in a sealed envelope, held by the Chairperson and the process will be minuted at a Committee Meeting. The names of those members designated to carry out this policy will not be minuted. OutWest will not be liable for any injuries or loss received by or to the designated personnel in the operation of this policy.